We are looking forward to sharing in your wedding and hope that all your plans go smoothly. This page outlines some of the details you will need to know about the arrangements for the church service.
Booking your Wedding
- To book your wedding you need to complete an Application Form at the Vicarage next to the Church. This can be done any Tuesday evening between 6.30-7.30pm. You may choose the date and time of your convenience, subject to the availability of the Church.
- If you find you need to change the time or the date, please tell the Vicar as soon as possible and we will do our best to accommodate you. If for any reason you decide to cancel your wedding please let us know straight away.
Calling of Banns
- Your banns have to be read at St Matthew's on three successive Sundays within three months of your marriage. We usually call them during the Holy Communion Service and it is a good idea to come and hear them read although this is not essential. Normally we will arrange the dates for this with you.
- Where your fiancé(e) lives in another parish you must also arrange to have banns read in that church. Even if your fiancé(e) belongs to another denomination the banns must be read in his or her local Anglican (Church of England) church. You will need to see the local Vicar or Rector who will complete a form and make the arrangements. He will charge you the set fee for this.
- After he has called your banns you need to collect a Banns Certificate from him. We MUST have this certificate before we can proceed with the wedding.
- FLOWERS: You may of course ask a florist to decorate the church according to your own personal preference and a suitable time would have to be arranged when this could happen.
- MUSIC: The Vicar will be happy to discuss which hymns and music you would like and can advise you if that is helpful. If you would like to discuss your wishes with the Director of Music, Mrs Sue Gordon (Tel 214955) she would normally be able to spare a few minutes following the Thursday Choir Practice at 8pm. Sometimes couples decide that they would like to have an Order of Service printed for their guests. If you would like to do this the Vicar can show you some examples of previous services to guide you.
- PHOTOGRAPHS: The official photographer will need to see the Vicar before the service. Professionals are usually very experienced and can carry out their task with the minimum of fuss and distraction to the couple. However, we ask that no-one else take photographs during the service.
- VIDEOS: For reason of copyright on the service and hymns we must know in advance if there is to be a video recording made in church. The recordist needs to sign a Disclaimer Agreement and a fee of £25 is charged for this.
- COLLECTION: No collection will be taken during the service but there will be a plate near the door for any of your guests who wish to make a contribution towards the work of the church.
- REHEARSAL: The Vicar will arrange a rehearsal a week or so before your wedding. It is important for Best Man and Bridesmaids to be present, together with other family if you wish.
- FEES: Wedding fees are laid down by the Church Commissioners and extras by the Parochial Church Council. They are revised annually on 1st January. The fees are as follows: The basic cost is around £483 which includes service and minister, organ and organist, verger, calling of banns, Marriage Certificate, etc. However, there are other optional items such as permission to make a video recording in church, aisle lanterns, red carpet etc. which bring the potential cost to around £568. If you have any further questions please contact the Vicar, the Revd Bob Pearson on Tel 01942 222121 or Fax 01942 211332.